The Secret to Spring Cleaning Your Scalp and Hair
Spring is finally here, which means many of you will begin deep cleaning your homes after the winter season to prepare for the warmer months ahead. Here at Active Care, we love spring as it is a time of revitalization and a chance for fresh starts.
With that in mind, we also know that winter can do a number on your scalp and hair. Frigid winter weather, running the heater to stay warm, and indulging in all those delectable meals and yummy adult beverages around the holidays can contribute to an itchy, dry scalp and dull, frizzy hair that lasts well into spring. That’s why there’s no better time than now to focus on spring cleaning your scalp, hair, and beauty regimen to ensure your skin and locks look and feel amazing as we transition into the warm season.
Pro Tips and Tricks for Spring Cleaning Your Scalp and Hair
Today, the scalp and hair experts at Active Care will share five helpful tips and tricks for rejuvenating your skin and hair this spring. Be sure to check out the Active Care Pro|Gen Collection to find everything from a hydrating scalp therapy treatment to deep cleansing treatment and more. In the meantime, here are some springtime hair care tips for you to consider.
Hair Product Purge
There is no better time than now to spring clean your scalp and hair care products. A product purge gives you the chance to go through all your styling products, hair cleansing products, and serums to find which are still within their shelf life and which ones should be tossed. This goes for your shampoo and conditioner, too. Additionally, going through your products and tossing those that have gone rancid or that you just don’t enjoy using anymore gives you the perfect opportunity to try new products that may be more effective in delivering the results you are hoping for. Here are a few signs telling you it is time to toss your products:
- Your beauty product smells bad.
- The texture of your product is reduced from what it once was.
- Your product looks funny or shows signs it has turned rancid.
- The product is long expired according to the use by date.
- There is hardly any product left in the container.
- The product no longer addresses your complaints or hair type.
Deep Clean Your Styling Tools
Spring is the perfect time to clean your styling tools thoroughly and get rid of the ones you never use. While it is a good idea to clean your styling tools regularly, especially those you use on the reg, deeply cleaning them every few weeks or every few months is always better than nothing. Here are some tips for cleaning your styling tools:
- Brushes and Combs - You use your brushes several times a day, so it is important to clean these regularly. When spring cleaning your brushes, first remove the clumps of loose hair. Use a comb or the pointed end of a hair parting tool to remove the tough-clinging hair from in-between the bristles. Once you have removed all or most of the hair, run your brush under lukewarm water as you fill the skin or a bowl with water. Add a drop of shampoo or soap to the water and let your brushes soak a bit to remove stuck-on gunk from your hair products. Then, use an old toothbrush to scrub in-between the bristles, the handle, and the base of the hair brush. Let them dry before your next use.
- Styling Irons - Using a cleaning solution for flat irons and curling irons, or using a solution of water and rubbing alcohol, gently clean the heating surfaces of your irons, as well as the edges, outer surface, and handle. This can remove any product buildup that bakes on to your iron with each use. Try to repeat the cleaning weekly.
- Blow Dryer - Unplug the blow dryer, then unscrew or unlatch the blow dryer filter that is typically located at the opposite end of the dryer head. Use a toothbrush to remove built-up hair, dust, and flakes of dry skin that often get trapped in the filter. Cleaning the filter regularly can help improve the efficiency of your blow dryer.
- Hair Ties, Scrunchies, and Clips - Give all your styling clips and hair ties a good soaking to remove product buildup. Toss out any hair ties or scrunchies that are overstretched and on the verge of breaking.
Hair and Scalp Detox
After winter, it’s a good idea to give your scalp and hair a little extra TLC. Performing a scalp detox is an effective way to remove dead skin cells, dry skin, dirt, and environmental impurities that can clog your pores and follicles. The Pro|Gen Deep Cleansing system purifies and refreshes the scalp while gently cleansing the skin to encourage hair growth, regrowth, and all-around healthier hair. The Pro|Gen Frequence system is a daily hair care regimen that can gently yet thoroughly hydrate and nourish your hair for thicker, softer hair.
Clean Out Your Pantry
This may sound odd since we are talking about your scalp and hair health, but we have said a thousand times before and we will say it a thousand times more — a healthy scalp and luscious hair starts on the inside. As you are spring cleaning your kitchen pantry, keep your scalp and hair health in mind. Consider getting rid of processed foods in your pantry that can contribute to inflammation of the scalp and replace those unhealthy foods with healthy eating options. Nuts are packed full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and omega fatty acids that promote healthy skin and radiant hair. Toss out those half-eaten bags of chips and replace them with lightly seasoned or salted almonds. Throw away that leftover Valentine’s Day candy and keep your fridge stocked with sweet and juicy berries to enjoy when you need something sweet.
Scalp Therapy Treatment
One of the best ways to spring clean your hair is by getting a scalp therapy treatment. You can talk to your stylist about the professional line of Pro|Gen scalp therapy products, or shop our scalp therapy collection to start a daily and weekly scalp care regimen at home. Healthy hair begins at the scalp, so it is essential to take optimal care of your scalp if you want gorgeous locks. That’s why when springtime rolls around, now’s the best time to focus on rejuvenating your scalp to promote healthy hair growth and luscious locks that look and feel amazing.Ready to take your springtime scalp and hair treatments to a whole new level? Visit Active Care to find an effective solution for your scalp and hair problems.