Nourishing Foods for Hair and Scalp, Part 3
Hello, and welcome back! Most human scalps contain between 100,000 and 350,000 hair follicles, which is a lot. Because hair is made of a tough protein called keratin, protein intake is crucial for healthy, strong hair. Last time, we looked at healthy foods that help sustain a healthy scalp and strong hair by focusing specifically on foods that stimulate hair growth. These biotin and protein-rich superfoods include almonds, eggs, and avocados, to name a few. In today’s post, we’ll continue exploring some more of these nutrient-packed foods that nourish the hair and scalp to strengthen hair and improve shine.
Foods for Strong, Shiny Hair
There are many causes of dry, brittle hair including the elements, side effects from taking certain medications, frequent alcohol consumption, not getting enough protein in your diet, and of course, chemically treating the hair. Don’t panic! There are many superfoods packed with vitamin C, amino acids, and omega-3 fatty acids that transform hair from dull and brittle to silky and shiny. Because these nutrients support healthy skin, they also improve the health of your scalp, which is the foundation for having shiny hair.
- Dark chocolate is always great to eat because, well, it’s just plain delicious. It’s also rich in antioxidants, packed with protein, and contains iron and B-vitamins that are all wonderful for enhancing the luster of your hair.
- Green tea is also full of antioxidants and polyphenols which are great for healthy hair. Try making a green tea hair rinse or use green tea matcha powder to make a hair mask for added shine.
- Citrus foods like oranges, grapefruits, and lemons are full of vitamin C which is used in the formation of collagen for bouncy, radiant hair.
- Legumes like chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils, and peanuts are rich in good fats, protein, iron, biotin, zinc, and carbohydrates that moisturize and strengthen the hair and scalp. For vegetarians, legumes provide the protein that would otherwise come from lean meats.
- Broccoli is jam-packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including zinc, folic acid, and calcium, which nourish and strengthen the hair and scalp. Folic acid is essential for transferring oxygen from the blood to the scalp and hair follicles.
Blueberries, as well as other dark berries like raspberries and strawberries, are one of nature’s most nutritious fruits because they are full of antioxidants. Antioxidants, like vitamin C, combat free radicals and feed all those thousands of tiny hair follicles to stimulate healthy, shiny hair growth.
Plant-Based Hair Products
In addition to all of these nutritious foods, adding plant-based hair treatment products into your daily regimen will significantly strengthen your hair and improve its shine. Pro|Gen Active strengthens hair at the root to keep hair looking and feeling healthier, while Pro|Gen Balance eliminates toxins from the scalp, making the hair look and feel soft and silky.
If you would like to try one of our amazing hair treatment products, check out our helpful online diagnostic tool to see which plant-based hair and scalp treatment is right for you. If you have any questions about our products or would like to receive a treatment in a salon, contact Pro|Gen Active Care today!